What is Arthritis?
‘Arthritis’ means joint inflammation, derived from Greek words as, arthron, meaning a ‘joint’, and –itis, meaning ‘inflammation’. It is a chronic inflammatory and progressive disease. Arthritis is a condition of joint pain and stiffness, typically involves tenderness, redness, heat and swelling. The persistent form of Arthritis is known as Rheumatism. The frequency of arthritis and rheumatism are common and frequently increase with ages. The affected regions of pain and stiffness are;
What are the types of Arthritis?
Basically, arthritis is a joint pain and stiffness but have been classified as;
- Osteoarthritis: It occurs in heavy weight-bearing joints such as hips and knees
- Rheumatoid Arthritis: It occurs in small joints most, such as middle joints of the fingers, the wrists, the jaw joint, toes and ankles
- Ankylosing spondylitis: It as frequent pain and stiffness in the lower back
- Infectious Arthritis: It spread due to infections in the body to the joints
- Psoriatic arthritis: It occurs in people suffering from psoriasis
- Gout: It is a painful arthritis due to the accumulation of uric acid in the body, usually starts in big toe
- Coxarthrosis: It is a degenerative osteoarthritis of hip joints. It is common in adults
Others types of Arthritis are
Juvenile idiopathic arthritis, Fibromyalgia, Systemic lupus erythematosus (lupus), Scleroderma, Polymyalgia rheumatic, Polymyositis, Tendinitis
Signs and symptoms
Do I Have Arthritis?
Generally, pain in your joints confirms the Arthritis. That cause stiffness in the joints and trouble in moving around. Other symptoms related to arthritis are;
- Swelling in joints
- Early morning stiffness around the joints lasting for 1 hour
- Constant and recurring pain or tenderness in a joint
- Difficulty in moving or using a joint normally
- Redness in joints
How can be Arthritis treated?
Arthritic pain could be mild or severe. If pain or stiffness is mild, pain -relieving drugs such as acetaminophen are prescribed. But in case of severe arthritic conditions anti-inflammatory drugs are prescribed such as
- Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs)
- Disease modifying anti-rheumatic drugs (DMARDs)
- Biological response modifiers
- Hyaluronic acid substitutes
- Nutritional supplements
Are these drugs have Side effects in the body?
Yes, there are many adverse effects of these drugs on the body. It is better to consult your doctor on regular basis to minimize the side effects of the prescribed drugs. Because every individual responds differently to drugs. The possible contraindications are observed as
- Stomach upset or ulcers
- Increased risk of blood clots
- Heart attack
- Strokes, cataract
- Elevated blood fats and sugars,
- Bone loss,
- Serious infections
Do I need changes in life style?
In Arthritic patients’ damages in joints, some internal organs, and skin are foreseen. Therefore, it is advised to maintain a balanced life style and by doing;
- Exercise: Do Physical activities in a way that it does not make heavy pressure on your joints and knees. Physical activities reduce joint pain and stiffness, increase flexibility and muscle strength. Exercises such as stationary cycling, walking, stretching, exercising in water, and swimming are recommended.
- Diet: there is no as such diet for arthritis, but a well-balanced diet with exercise, to manage body weight is proposed. Furthermore, people suffering from gout are advised to avoid alcohol and foods such as organ meats (liver, kidney), anchovies, sardines and gravy
- Take warm shower in the morning
- Be in touch with your doctor regularly
What is Coxarthrosis?
It is a type of osteoarthritis occurs in the hip joint. The main cause of Coxarthrosis is cartilage degeneration. Other causes leading Coxarthrosis are
- Mechanical hip dysfunctions: It is called as offset disturbance, in which femoral head protrudes in the back or front side. This offset disturbance injures ‘sealing ring’ of the bone by hitting femoral neck on the socket edge during forward bending. The early symptoms are groin pain followed by partly damage of ball and socket, causing severe pain and stiffness.
- Circulatory disorders: Osteonecrosis of the femoral head results from interruption of blood supply to the bone. Interrupted blood supply in femoral head results femoral head ischemia and leads into the death of bone marrow cells and osteocytes, and collapse of the necrotic segment.
- Inflammatory disorders: Also called as chronic polyarthritis, it is a multiple joints arthritis and cause chronic pain and inflammation at many joints.
Surprisingly, mechanical hip disorder is more prevalent than others.
Do regular light exercises to reduce excess weight, include aerobic activities like
- Brisk walking for 30 minutes 3 times a week
- Functional rehabilitation exercises to maintain mobility and flexibility of the hip and providing strength to supporting muscles
Furthermore, try to avoid carrying heavy loads, walking on rough ground and prolonged standing.
Treatment of Coxarthrosis are prescribed as tablets or rarely intra-articular injections. Analgesics and Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs). In short term treatment, it may not have contraindications, but long term treatment may have severe side effects.
How Ayurveda could help in treating Arthritis/ Coxarthrosis?
In Ayurveda, Arthritis has been investigated with poor digestion and weakened colon resulting in accumulation of undigested food and waste matter. These accumulated toxins reach the joints and cause inflammation. The digestion corresponds with fire element of the body and disturbance in the Vata, Pita and Kapha. Such disturbances slow down the fire elements. The weakened fire element results in accumulation of toxic and sticky end products of inadequate digestion known as ‘Ama’. The Ama accumulates in the joints and other cells and tissues, which causes inflammation. This triggers autoimmune system and attack the joints surfaces and results in pain, dryness and stiffness in the joints. The disturbance in Vatta has been observed as a major cause of arthritis
Ayurveda describes various herbal message oils, herbal medicines to treat Arthritis, Muscular Pain, Rheumatism, Joint Pains etc. the examples are Sesame oil, Boswellia, Commiphora Mukul (Guggul). They act as anti-inflammatory, pain killing and provide strength to the bones and improve flexibility.
If you are suffering from various pain and aches in back, joints, fingers and toes. We Planet Ayurveda,Holistic Healing Through Herbs, manufacturer and exporter of herbal Medicines worldwide, have formulated powerful and effective anti-arthritic herbal medicines.
Boswellia and Curcumin Capsules (500 mg): It is the most effective formulation for anti-inflammation activity. It has powerful results in relieving joint pain and swelling, and improves the health of joints by promoting circulation and flexibility. It is a wonderful formula for Arthritis and acts as analgesic, anti-inflammatory and reduces underlying swellings of tissues. Boswellia Curcumin, is the combined therapy of two herbs Shallaki and Curcumin. Both herbs are of high valuable medicinal properties, contributing synergistically to reduce the inflammation and arthritic pain.
Planet Ayurveda, Boswellia Curcumin capsules (500 mg) are 100% pure and does not have any side effects. Each capsule contains standard herbal extract of 250 mg of Boswellia serrata and 250 mg of Curcuma longa.
Ashwagandha Capsules (500 mg): Ashwagandha, Withania somnifera, is the well-known traditional herb and have been described in the Ayurveda, since 3,000 years. In Latin somnifera means ‘sleep inducing’. In Ayurveda, Ashwagandha has been classified as ‘Rasayana’ herb, which means that it is rejuvenator and promotes vitality and longevity. Ashwagandha is the worldwide accepted herb for the manufacturing of various tonic benefiting overall health improvement, longevity and prevention of diseases and musculoskeletal conditions (e.g. arthritis, rheumatism). Ashwagandha exhibits various medicinal properties, which has been utilized for many formulations. Ashwagandha is also known as‘Indian Ginseng’ or ‘Winter Cherry’. Various benefits of Ashwagandha are;
- Reducing anxiety, stress, depression
- Muscle fatigue and stiffness in neck
- Musculoskeletal conditions (arthritis, joint pains, lower leg pains)
- Strength to the muscles and stamina
- Diabetic neuropathy and weakness
- Erectile dysfunction, premature ejaculation and low sperm count
Ashwagandha, root extract capsules are results delivering and regular use of capsules help in overcoming stress, anxiety, depression, fatigue, nervous breakdown, neuropathy due to diabetes. It strengthens your muscles, calm down the body and mind. As a nerve tonic, it enhances the stamina and performance.
Make sure during arthritic treatment you are controlling your diet as directed by your physician. In general, avoid dairy foods, high protein content foods, potato and eggplant and to follow an anti-Vata diet.